Privacy statement: Updated July 2021
Astron Energy Proprietary Limited (Astron Energy or we) respects the right to privacy and confidentiality and is committed to protecting your privacy, by ensuring that your personal information is collected and processed properly, lawfully and transparently. We subscribe to the conditions of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) to ensure that you are always protected when providing us with personal information.
This Privacy Statement serves as notification to you as required by Section 18 of POPIA, explains the steps we take to protect personal information we collect and is addressed to you as a customer, supplier, business partner and a user of our Websites or business processes, available at connect.astronenergy.co.za, www.astronenergy.co.za and www.caltex.co.za (Websites). It describes the manner in which we collect, process, store, use and protect personal information which we collect, the purposes for which we use it, your rights regarding your personal information, our security measures, and how you can review and correct your personal information.
When used in this Privacy Statement, the term “personal information” has the meaning given to it in the POPIA. Generally speaking, personal information is any information that can be used to personally identify a natural or juristic person. If any information that we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, we will treat it as personal information.
We will collect your personal information in a number of ways, including:
• directly from you (where it is practicable to do so);
• from third parties including employers, authorised representatives, agents or third parties who are authorised to share personal information, and publicly available sources of information; and
• from third parties (some of whom may be our agents) who have identified you as someone who may wish to purchase our products or provide services to Astron Energy.
In the course of business engagements and on some pages of our Websites, we may ask you for personal information for the purpose of entering into a business or employment relationship, providing a service or carrying out a transaction requested by you. The personal information that we collect and process will be provided by you voluntarily and may include:
• contact details, such as your name, title, company/organization name, email address, telephone and fax numbers, and physical address
• information about your company and job position
• information about to your company directors, officers, employees, beneficial owners or other associated individuals your preferences with respect to email marketing
• financial information, including credit card numbers, bank or customer account information and, in connection with credit requests, Identity Number or other national/tax identification number
• your gender or marital status
• in certain instances, sensitive personal information may be required, for example, race or ethnicity, medical information, criminal information, employment information and beliefs
• information such as your nationality and country of residence that allows us to determine your eligibility under export control regulations to receive information about certain technologies
• your enquiries about and orders for our products and services, as well as information that assists us in identifying the best products and services for you
• we may monitor and record telephone calls you make to us, unless you specifically request us not to
• competition entry and event registration information
• surveys or feedback from you about our products and services, including our Websites
You are not required to provide this information. However, if you choose not to, we may not be able to provide you the requested service or complete your transaction. If you provide us with personal information of third parties, please make sure that you are authorised to do so.
Data collected automatically. We collect certain data about all visitors to our Websites, including what pages they view, the number of bytes transferred, the links they click, and other actions taken within our Websites. When you browse our Websites, we may also collect information about your computer and your visits to Websites such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, computing device for example tablet, personal computer, web-enabled phone, the website you came from, length of visit and number of page views. We use this information to better understand how visitors use our Websites and how they can be improved to better meet your needs, as well as to gauge interest in our products and services and to improve our security measures. In some cases, when you click on a link in an email or submit a Web form such as to request more information, like product or promotional information we can link this data to your email address.
Our use of personal data
We will use and process personal information only for the purposes set forth below.
Business Engagements. We use personal information for proposed and actual transactions, to enter into contracts, to support our procurement and onboarding processes, including complying with our internal policies (particularly policies designed to prevent money laundering and sanctions violations).
Services and transactions. We use personal information to deliver services or execute transactions you request, such as providing information about Astron Energy products and services, processing orders, answering customer service requests, facilitating use of our Websites, and so forth. In order to offer you a more consistent experience in interacting with Astron Energy, information collected by our Websites may be combined with information we collect by other means.
Website improvement. We may use personal information about you to improve our Websites (including our security measures) and related products or services, or to make our Websites easier to use by eliminating the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information, or by customizing our Websites to your particular preference or interests.
Marketing Communications. We may use personal information to inform you of products or services available from Astron Energy. When collecting information that might be used to contact you about our products and services, we give you the opportunity to opt-out from receiving such communications. Moreover, each email communication we send includes an unsubscribe link allowing you to stop delivery of that type of communication.
Employment Applications. In connection with a job application or enquiry, you may provide us with personal information about yourself, including your educational background, résumé or curriculum vitae, and other information, including your ethnicity where required or permitted by law. We may use this information throughout Astron Energy for the purpose of employment consideration. We will keep your personal information for as long as we need to keep it for legal compliance or business purposes.
Cookies are small files that websites save to your hard disk or to your browser’s memory. Our Websites may use them to track the number of times you have visited the Website, to track the number of visitors to the Website, to determine and analyse visitors’ use of our Websites, to store data that you provide (such as your preferences), and to store technical information related to your interactions with our Websites. We may also use session cookies, which are deleted when you close your browser, to store your user ID, to facilitate your movement around our Websites (particularly in connection with information searches and order placement) and other information useful in administering the session.
Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser settings to decline cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being placed on your computer. If you choose not to accept cookies, you may not be able to experience all of the features of our Websites. Internet browsers also enable you to delete existing cookies, although this means that your existing settings (including stored user IDs and other preferences) will be lost.
We use Google Analytics and have implemented the Demographics and Interest Reporting feature to help us understand requirements of our Website visitors’ better. You may opt out of Google’s data collection at any time by using their currently available opt-outs for the web.
Our sites also may contain electronic images known as Web beacons—sometimes called single-pixel gifs—that allow us to count the number of users who have visited those pages. We may include Web beacons in promotional email messages or newsletters in order to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon, including whether the recipient clicked on a link in the email or forwarded the email to another person.
Disclosure of personal data
Except as described below, personal information that you provide to Astron Energy via our Websites or any other means will not be shared outside of Astron Energy without your consent. Access to personal information is only authorised for those employees who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities.
Disclosure to service providers. Astron Energy contracts with other companies to provide services on our behalf, such as outsourcing Payroll and Procurement administration, hosting Websites, sending out information, processing transactions and analysing our Websites. We provide these companies with only those elements of personal information they need to deliver those services. These companies and their employees are prohibited from using this personal data for any other purposes.
Disclosure in connection with transactions. In connection with certain transactions, we may disclose some or all of the personal information you provide to financial institutions, government entities and shipping companies or postal services involved in fulfilling the transaction.
Disclosures in connection with acquisitions or divestitures. Circumstances may arise where for strategic or other business reasons Astron Energy decides to sell, buy, merge or otherwise reorganize particular businesses. Such a transaction may involve the disclosure of personal information to prospective or actual purchasers, or receiving it from sellers. Although it is Astron Energy’s practice to seek protection for information in these types of transactions, we cannot guarantee that any entity receiving such data from Astron Energy in connection with one of these transactions will comply with all of the terms of this Privacy Statement. We will disclose such transfer on our Website and should you be concerned about migration of your personal information you may request that it be deleted or de-identified.
Disclosure on collaborative websites. Some of our Websites promote collaboration among registered users with respect to a particular area or topic. On those Websites, we may share your username with other participants to label comments or suggestions that you make as yours. We do not, however, share your name, contact details, or other personal information with other users of those collaborative websites.
Disclosure for other reasons. We may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with legal requirements or with legal process served on us, to protect and defend our rights or property, or in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of any individual.
Where appropriate, we ask third parties to whom personal information is disclosed to use and process your personal information in accordance with any laws applicable to the protection of personal information.
Astron Energy is committed to protecting the security of personal information. While no security measure can guarantee against compromise, we use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect data from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example, we store the personal information you provide on computer systems with limited access that are located in facilities to which access is limited. When you move around a site to which you have logged in, or from one site to another that uses the same login mechanism, we verify your identity by means of an encrypted cookie placed on your machine. When you place an order with us, view account information, or provide financial information, we protect the transmission of such data using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption.
For sites to which you log in, it is your responsibility to ensure the security of your password and to not reveal this information to others. If you are sharing a computer with anyone, you should always log out before leaving a website so that subsequent users will not be able to access your data.
You have the right to contact us at any time requesting:
• confirmation that we have your personal information (by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org);
• access to the records containing your personal information or a description of the personal information that we hold about you can be done by completing Form C – Request for Access to Record of Private Body (available here) and sending it to us at email@example.com); and
• the identity or categories of third parties who have had, or currently have, access to your personal information (by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org ).When making a request, we will require adequate proof of your identity. We will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing information, where you are entitled to it, by for example, posting or emailing it to you. There may be instances where we cannot grant access to your personal information. For example, if access would interfere with the privacy of others or would result in a breach of confidentiality, we may need to refuse access. If we refuse access, we will give written reasons for the refusal.If you believe that any personal information that we hold about you is inaccurate, irrelevant, outdated, incomplete or misleading, you may ask us to correct it by completing Form 2 (available here) and sending it to us at email@example.com . If you believe that any personal information that we hold about you is excessive or has been unlawfully obtained or that we are no longer authorised to retain it, you may ask us to destroy or delete it. If we do not agree that there are grounds for action, you may ask us to add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it. You can make these requests by completing Form 1 (available here) and sending it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org . You can review and correct personal information provided through our Websites by going to the page on which you provided the information. You can help us to keep personal information about you accurate by notifying us by phone or email of any change.We may charge a reasonable fee to cover administrative and other costs in providing information to you. We will not charge for simply making a request to update or correct your personal information.If you would like to object to us processing your personal information you can contact us by completing Form 1 (available here) and sending it to us at email@example.com .If you would like to make a complaint to the Information Regulator about the processing of your personal information, complete Part I of Form 5 (available here). The Information Regulator’s details are available here
International transfers of personal data
Personal information collected by us may be transmitted, stored and processed outside of South Africa to foreign countries whose laws do not provide the same level of protection as your personal information receives in South Africa. Where your information is transferred to a foreign country, your rights will continue to be respected and we will take all reasonable steps to ensure transferred personal information is kept secure. By providing your personal information you consent to it being transmitted, stored and processed in a foreign country.
Links to other websites
Our Websites may contain links to other websites, including those of other companies, professional and government organizations, and publications. Although we try to link only to websites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we do not control and are not responsible for the content, security or privacy practices employed by other websites. You should review the privacy statements of those websites to determine how they protect and use personal information.
This site is a general audience site, although it contains information that may be of interest to children. However, Astron Energy does not seek through this site to gather personal information from or about persons 14 years or younger. If one of our websites is directed at children, we will include an additional privacy statement notice for children.
Questions about our privacy practices
If you have questions regarding this Privacy Statement or our handling of personal information, please contact us by email, or by mail at Astron Energy
5 Century Boulevard, Century City
7441, South Africa
P O Box 714 Cape Town 8000
Changes to this privacy statement
We may occasionally update this Privacy Statement. When we do, we will revise the “updated” date at the bottom of the Privacy Statement. You should revisit this page periodically to become aware of the most recent terms.
By accepting this Privacy Statement, you are deemed to have read, understood, accepted, and agreed to be bound by all of its terms.